What with it being National Smile Month, here are some tips for keeping your teeth and gums nice and healthy!
1. Soft bristles on toothbrushes are better. They don’t erode the enamel on your teeth.
2. Replace your toothbrush after you’re sick as the bristles can harbour bacteria and reinfect you at a later time.
3. Sugar free gum helps! Chewing sugar free gum washes away plaque acid, leading to healthier teeth.
4. Drink plenty of water. Water helps prevent excessive acid buildup, prevents dry mouth and helps saliva production, all positives for proper oral hygiene.
5. Calcium is essential for healthy teeth, milk or a calcium supplement isn’t enough. Make sure you’re also sufficient in Vitamin D which helps the body absorb nutrients like calcium.
6. When flossing, use a zig-zag motion with your floss, contour the floss around the side of your tooth and always try to use a clean section of floss.
7. If your tooth gets knocked out, put it in milk and hold it in your mouth. This will help your tooth to survive longer. Make sure you see a dentist right away.
8. In addition to brushing and flossing, eating fruit and vegetables like apples (hard skin, crunchy texture) helps clean out debris and plaque between your teeth.