It’s almost that time of year again, for the kid’s to go back to school!
Going back to school should be an exciting time, your kids may be set with new clothes and school supplies but don’t forget about their oral hygiene. A regular teeth-cleaning routine is essential for good dental health.
Dental appointments normally include:
• Teeth cleaning
• Fluoride treatment
• Diagnostic x-rays
• Screening for cavities and gingivitis
Your kid’s back-to-school checklist should include:
• Regular dental examinations to diagnose and treat or prevent dental problems. Your dentist may suggest fluoride treatments or sealants to prevent decay and can diagnose and treat dental problems to save your child from pain and lost school time.
• Brush your teeth well twice a day – after breakfast and last thing before going to bed. Don’t have anything to eat or drink after you have cleaned your teeth before going to bed.
• Use Fluoride – To help protect teeth from cavities, fluoride is added to dental products like toothpaste. Children two years of age or older should always use a fluoride toothpaste.
• Use a small toothbrush with soft bristles. Hard and medium bristled toothbrushes can damage teeth and gums.
• Eating healthy lunches and snacks. Include healthy lunch items and snacks in your child’s lunchbox (for example milk, nuts, cheese, raw vegetables, yogurt, fruit).
• Choose milk or water instead of juice for lunch. The bacteria that causes tooth decay thrives on simple sugars, like those found in sticky foods and sugary beverages.
• Wearing a properly fitted mouthguard while participating in sports.
Try these tricks to make their oral hygiene routine more exciting:
• Use a sticker calendar: Let your kids place stickers on each day to represent brushing and flossing.
• Play music: Collect your kids’ favorite two-minute songs and make sure they brush the whole time.
• Clean your teeth at the same time as your little ones: children love copying grown-ups, so if they see you regularly doing the right thing, they’ll probably start doing the same.